The Rolling stones ( a little on the light side)


          During the warmer weather sometimes as early as March and sometimes as late as December the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway has the Local ABC railway (a Wheeling Subsidiary)  move a stone train form their connection at Mp128.9  on the CSX up to a stone company located approximately 3.5 Miles at MP 132.4 however they have to travel up Main #1 to where the two lines converge at MP 134.6 and sometimes have to go as far as MP 135.0 for headroom make a reverse move up track #2 back to MP132.4 to switch out the stone company then make the same move reversed back to their connection at MP 128.9 this is a almost daily occurrence usually in the morning. One Great thing about this train it is usually operated by my buddy Chuck and his conductor Jeremy both theses guys are not only great railroaders but have hearts of Gold making this train even better to be able to witness. It was a Thursday morning in August of this past year I heard Chuck and his conductor call the I/O dispatch and request to make the move but with one twist, they were going light to pick up 50 empty hoppers and bring them back. Wow I said to myself Moving light power this is going to be a great morning as I rolled into position in my location under one of the bridges nearby I heard on the Radio CSX Q138 calling signals at Lambert. Could it be I would get skunked by the CSX train?  There was the strong possibility, I heard Chuck and his conductor say we are on the move, Whew, for right now. Next I hear Q138's Conductor call "clear Bridge 16" oh boy I am sweating kittens right now but never fail here comes Chuck rounding the corner of all things Long hood forward.
Z642 moving Light with Chuck at the throttle
One thing that can be said about Chuck is he can run a locomotive like no one else he not only can make it walk and talk but make it have a conversation and be manor-able too, and anyone getting to see him at the throttle will never be disappointed. Now back to the Pesky Q138 threatening my pictures of the Z642 I hear the Q138's horn blow for South Street then Voris street Then as Chuck came past me I hear Q138's conductor call "clear Exchange" oh boy here we have it cutting close too close.
Chuck Passing me with the usual friendly wave
Now as  I waved back and Chuck an his conductor passed by I hear the track two begin to talk and make the usual squeaking noise tracks make as the train approaches I was able to take a few final pics of Chuck going around the curve before I saw the Q138's lights
Chuck moving on to go to work and pick up the 50 empty hoppers 

 As the Q138 came around the corner I was able only snap a few pics due to having my long lens on (my 55-250 mm) but I just was happy I wasn't skunked by the 138 I watched as the rain just rolled past heck even got a friendly wave and short blast on the horn from the crew of Q138, not bad I can say it was a great morning.
Q138 the Possible Skunker

 As this wrapped up my morning like my buddy Chuck I had to go to work but it was a great morning shared with the passing journeys of two friends, one a professional railroader and a railfan and a simple railfan such as myself a great moment (in my opinion) on a warm summers morning that is one of the memories I can actually cherish for the rest of my life and in my words was another one for the record.

I hope you enjoyed my story as well as I did writing it and as always thank you for reading, Remember God is still in control

If you enjoyed it Please Subscribe

If you want  to follow me click one of the links below

On Google: https://plus.google.com/u/0/106723741331187820565

On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/firstrailphotography

On Twitter: https://twitter.com/CSX1135JO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radio Call

The Life Of a Urban Railfan

Running from the night