Blowing into the wind



The Friday before this past Friday began my return to what I consider a normal schedule, for the most part work has taken up most of my time trackside and had cut into my other train hobbies pretty severely. So  Wednesday afternoon I get off work and go get gas and begin the drive to my usual spot where I park, the weather wasn't the best it was windy and cold ( need I mention that we had tornado warnings at 6 in the morning) so the weather was definitely not the best. Tired and beat down from work some hope had sprang through when some of the clouds began to clear and the sun came out but that was short lived. The first Train to cross my path was the Z-640 while I was crossing over the mill street bridge from getting gas, a quick right turn and down to Summit street to catch the ABC Railway crossing Summit street on it's way back to Brittain yard with the daily freight.

The Conductor climbs back on board the 1502 after lining the switch back to proceed East
After the ABC left for the yard I heard a Westbound clear Exchange street knowing he would be long gone before I got there I drove down to my other spot in an effort to relax and clear my head along with the enjoyment of the trains I would get to see. Well that soon would prove to be just a hope that would not come to pass. As I was setting there here came another railfan I will save face and call him Mr, M  now Mr. M has some issues with comprehension and understanding and along with this comes some very bad habits that proved annoying later on. Like while trying  to film the Q016 the wind and Mr. M's talking easily killed those efforts so I just gave up and deleted the video in hopes of maybe a better day.  The next train through was the L-388 with me trying to perch myself upon the wall in a 30mph wind and if that wasn't enough it was compounded by Mr. M's incessant chatter about the new signals being put in but I managed worse situations in photography and was able to pull this shot off of the L-388

L-388 works it's way East on a windy Day
  So after the L-388 went through I went back to my van and decided to try and get some rest since the next train was at least 30 minutes out yet so I got in the car Mr. M got into his and I proceeded to turn up the jazz roll the windows up, lock the doors and turn the heat on. I closed my eyes for about 15 minutes before my little beauty nap (trust me with my looks I need it) was shattered by a tap on the window, groggy and startled it was Mr. M who wanted to tell me a bunch of gibberish that honestly could have waited. So while he was talking I heard the Q-254 tramp the signal at Firestone and I got out climbed back up onto my perch on the wall and snagged a YN2 leading the train.

Q-254 with a YN2 Leader rolls East through Akron
After the 254 passed I went back to try and get a nap in and would you know I got about 20 minutes in before..... You guessed it Mr. M came back over this time to show me his binoculars being the patient soul I try to be I take them from his hand only to wind up with some black gunk that resembled flange grease (the grease that lubes rail flanges) this stuff is next to impossible to get off and now my right hand (and his) was covered in it, not wanting to get this on any of my stuff I tried lens cleaner and a paper towel to remove this new affliction to no avail, I wound up scrubbing it off on the wall along with possibly 2 layers of skin. With my hands clean and hearing the next train the Q-299 talking to the 254 Mr. M began telling me he had to depart after this Westbound while I like having company I sadly had to say I looked forward to this moment. I was tired, hungry, and my hand was sore from the scouring to remove the affliction from the binoculars. With the Q-299 clearing Exchange it was a welcome sight as I just wanted to go home at this point.

The wonderful Q-299
 While that brought a end to my day of railfanning I did somewhat enjoy my day even with the interruptions and the aggravations that was brought upon me. Now one thing I try to do is exercise patience while I did not enjoy the actions of Mr. M  I tried to show kindness to one who most run off for obvious reasons. This brings me to my final thought, for most of us we have our little groups we like to hang in but when have you shown kindness to the other railfans who may not be as social as you? Sometimes we get caught up in the moment of trying to be the next top railfan that we forget sometimes others need our company like Mr. M I easily could have said I had to go and simply found another spot or gotten rude and snapped at him for disturbing my nap but I didn't. This year I promised myself I was not going to copy the behaviors I see out of others I am going to lead by example. Is there a way you can improve as well? if so I encourage you to try and make the effort. Until Next time Take care and remember God is still in control.

If you liked please subscribe: 

Check me out on the following:

 




Railpictures.net: www.railpictures.net/railphotographer1/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radio Call

The Life Of a Urban Railfan

Running from the night