Turn the page



 With 2016 in full swing and the holidays finally out of the way I feel a post is in order.
Last year brought some changes, one thing I can jokingly say is CSX and I certainly did takes our share of hits. Now into 2016 while dealing with some of the changes that had to happen I can say I see the improvement. Like the end of 2015 the lack of trains continued into 2016. While the lack of trains certainly did not stop me it inspired me to start trying to work with what I had. While on the way to a meeting at my new church (one of the changes I made) I saw Bo and Pam couple of older railfans that usually are not out in the cold ( especially Bo) I asked Bo what was coming and found out the K603 had a KCS leader and was less than 10 minutes out with 20 min of daylight left, could it be me dreaming? Nope....

KCS Southern Belle I am in love
Well for the most part it has either been dark and rainy or with the sun and lack of trains, but never fear I will work with all weather options, this is why I have a all weather cover for my Canon. On the way home it was pouring rain and I heard Q016 running on track one due to a local being on the eastbound track two. I took  couple of test shots, set my camera and viola here is what came out of my efforts.

Q016 on the run East
While after him I began to suffer sinus problems from the up and down weather I still pressed on despite the lack of trains before work and the duties that kept me away during the beginning of this year. So What does one do with lack of light and trains well for me I began playing round with long exposures and here are some of my attempts.

University curve
 The above Photo is a view I love personally and my nifty 50mm works great for this task and gives me a sharp view I hope others can enjoy as much as I do. This is from a bridge that is in a lot of my photos using that old unused signal bridge as a backdrop, and for you rail buffs we are looking railroad west or geographically southwest. Turn 180 degrees and walk across the street and you get another one of my favorite scenes. 

Warp speed at the crack of dawn
Now you are looking railroad East or geographically Northeast one of the favorite parts of this scene is the turn of the century warehouse building now used by the university for student services and is usually well lit in the early morning hours. Just for some fun history this used to be a rail served produce business and if you look close close to the purple light ( I have no idea of the source) you can see the rail still in place...  Now I do like to change things up and so did CSX the other morning they decided running  bunch of trains was a great idea and I agreed, I climbed to the top of  local parking deck to get the next shot of a Eastbound intermodal the Q138 and the approaching Westbound mixed freight Q389  

Q138 on the roll
 With the last one I moved down to ground level to a place I could never get into my head and the passing coke train the K375 helped with the block if you want to call it that. Now I will be trying different trains with this one just for the artistic effect...

K375 with the EOT adding some cool effects
 While I know 2016 is still early I look forward to the good times. One thing is we can say there are no opportunities at times, but I beg to differ, I could he given up saying there is not enough light, trains or time, but I saw a opportunity to try something different and I tried it and liked it. Sometimes we just have to study the situation in order to see the opportunity in front of us. One of my favorite quotes is "If you only focus on the problem you might miss the easy solution" so quit looking at the problems and start looking at what could possibly solve them Until next time remember God is still in control and take care. 

If you liked please Subscribe......


Check me out on the following:

 





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radio Call

Lady Luck

To the dark side