A Little on the light side

             Since my last post nothing much has changed except now I am seeing a few more trains during the early morning hours and more daytime trains. The Monday before last was my 35th birthday and so cold even the penguins had on hats and coats. Faced with  -19 deg windchill I ventured out and into one of my spots where I know I could stay warm safely before going to work. Not soon after I arrived, and  poured my cup of coffee the scanner cackled and K145 was within radio range. Staying in my warm spot until he was about 7 minutes away I did most of my prep work in the warmth to get ready before attempting to go out in the brutal and dangerous cold. ( On a side note do not try this unless you are well prepared because at these temps frostbite can happen in minutes) Once outside I finished setting up and as K145 called the last signal before my location I knew he would be stopping. Hearing R394 Clearing the interlocking coming from single main I decided to stay at my perch to catch both trains. With one sitting still and one moving here are my efforts.

The early morning action
Once both trains began passing I packed up and began my decent from my perch to try and get the K145's locomotives setting still but they got a clear signal and began to roll west so that ended that, so I went back up to my warm perch and finished my morning before work reading my Bible and devotional over with a cup of coffee and my breakfast. The next day was not as cold but it was still super cold I decided to venture out  little and shot the Q216 as it passed under me.

Bringing up the rear
After him I began to my spot when I entered into the door I became face to face with the police, thankfully they were not after me but were after the hobo that had been living in the area and scaring the ladies that go to work nearby. After discussion of the incident with local authorities I found out our hobo friend and another one had a lengthy history of assault, indecent exposure, and the one was a sex offender.. There goes your idea of hobos being just friendly guys that roam the rails most of the time these are either criminals on the run or have been convicted of some serious felony and can't or won't work. Now you see why I said what I said in my blog post here: http://lifeandtimesofaurbanrailfan.blogspot.com/2016/01/it-never-hurts-part-2.html

After my encounter train watching for the rest of was limited by lack of trains, my work and the cold weather. This week began kinda like the one that had just ended but I was able to get a few epic sunrises like this.

The beauty of the morning
Tuesday the weather was bearable to be out, although being cloudy it wasn't a bad day to set trackside. A decision to go to Subway and get a sandwich with my gift card cost me the opportunity to catch the Q 253 but the Philly Cheese-Steak was worth it. Once I got settled in my spot and took a bite out of my sandwich here came Q016 Quickly and carefully putting my food down I cleaned my hands grabbed the camera and got this picture of him as he rolled by.

Q016 on the roll
After him I worked some more on my food and was just finishing up the last bite when  a unknown coal train come by. The only reason I heard him was he was blowing for a set of crossings about a mile away and having a bad radio I only heard the clicks of the conductor keying up.

The Unknown Visitor
After him the Q015 came by and by the time he got to me it was time to pack up and head home for the day.

A Great way to end the day
Thursday was another uneventful morning with the  lack of any train activity but Friday was  different story as soon as I arrived the Q138 rolled by and then came Fred and the N817 coal drag. we took turns picking on the westbound coal drag and here are some of my efforts.

Warp speed at 35mph
Fading away into the early morning
For the most part the past couple of weeks has been a good start to the new year. I have had to fight past some discouraging issues but as always, remember to focus on the good things in life and remember God is still in control. Until next time take care.

If you enjoyed please subscribe: 

Check me out on the following:

 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radio Call

Lady Luck

To the dark side