It never hurts Part 1




Over the years I have had enjoyed the hobby of trains and over the past couple of years I have taken more interest in the photography of trains. While this hobby is rewarding and has afforded me a few opportunities it has many hidden dangers I will be cover in this two part series called it never hurts.

        While I can relate to some of the railfans wanting to get the shot, or if you are a photography person creating the epic shots or trying to please the clients request or demands you could be putting yourself at danger and you might not know you are.
The first thing I want to cover is the railfan end of the spectrum many of times we see the no trespassing signs near grade crossings or on trestles and there is a reason  they are there, It isn't because the railroad hates railfans but it is because it mainly is to protect them and you from the dangers that maybe around. Well I am safe or nothing ever happens you may or you say I know what I am doing well that attitude is what will get you hurt or even killed.
The Flying None

 Take for example the picture above taken from one of the forums I am part of this is showing a coil car with one of the coils that has had one of the retaining bands broke and in terms best put has become a 225 ton flying razor blade!!!!! This is why railroads  do not want you close to the tracks this piece of steel could be hanging out 10+ feet and there is no way of avoiding it. Let's say you want to get a shot near a trestle and you stand round 20 ft into the right of way 6 feet from the tracks well even if you notice it in time (most of the time you won't) you still have to react and most of the time you won't be able to jump clear, and this is also the reason you never turn your back on a moving train. Now what happens after the coil cuts you in half? Well the crew of that train most likely will not know you're lying there and if you still are alive by some miracle that you need help. Another crew most likely will find you and call the police and fire to come and get you. Once your family has your pieces back and puts you into the ground most likely they will sue the railroad and win. All because of a avoidable choice and with the wide range of telephotos available there is no need to be so close to the track in the first place. On a less morbid note maybe it won't be the coil but a piece of plastic flying and it catches you and you get dragged down the tracks and live to tell the tale you still will have plenty of broken bones and lost limbs to show for your choices. It is simple keep back, stay out of the way, and stay alert, it never hurts.

Can you hear me now?

   Now to pick on my colleagues in the photography realm  some clients want sometimes to get pictures that are different or you are a student wanting to impress your teacher and go with getting pictures on the train tracks well this not only is dangerous and stupid but has a lasting effect on the crew after they plaster you all over the plow and coupler. Not only them but those who have to clean you and your company up. I have heard excuses such as I will hear the train or I put a penny down and it will shake. News flash first the sound follows the train with the modern welded rail the penny won't vibrate, and let's say you see or hear it in time and leave the penny there it might get pinched in  way it gets shot at you to the rate of three times the speed of sound!!!! Well if you think of using a scanner I have more bad news for you. Where I photograph trains from is usually about 1/2 mile from  signal in either direction on public property From the time they call the signal to the time they roll by me is usually 2-7 minutes here is the bad news I have heard crews on the horn with dispatch getting special orders of what to do next and do not have the time to call out the signal nor are they required due to them giving the most recent milepost so now you and the group are in the path and won't know what hit you. It is simply no to any of this type of photography it is not worth it. Now If I am trackside and see this or you putting yourself in danger then I will not hesitate to tell you to get off the tracks or I may not even do that and get on my cell phone to the cops. To my railfan buddies if you see this SPEAK UP !!! this is why we get the labels due to a few bad apples and it takes  collaborate effort not only to protect ourselves but the crews and the others whom do not know what maybe we know.All in all safety and common sense must prevail and if you decide to ignore me or the others make sure  you know Jesus because you sure are to meet him at some point. Until next time take care and remember God is still in control.

If you Liked Please subscribe: 

Check me out on the following:

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It never hurts Part 2

Radio Call

Lady Luck