The Life Of a Urban Railfan


My name is Elmer and I am a freelance railroad photographer. Most of my work involves
trains, however as a railfan in an urban environment. I  write about my days and some of the different things I do here in my blog. As a photographer I try to include the environment in which the train  operates. Being in a urban setting provides plenty of opportunities as well as challenges. Opportunities like being able to Photograph various backgrounds including the sky and city scape along with the trains. Some of the challenges I face are having to shoot from odd angles, bridges, publicly accessible parking decks and various odd places that not only are difficult to get to in a urban environment but also present some limitations to my equipment  things such as fences, trees, and other structures. 
Early Morning Coke Train
For the most part I have learned to stay in my lane meaning stick with the one thing I have known about, and that is trains I have done photo shoots for parties and up and coming aspiring models locally, but in my opinion I did not do as well as someone else who has the passion for that kind of photography. As it says in my bio I like to take on challenges and many times I find myself out and about any time in any weather. Although I personally like daylight and warmth I can appreciate a cold winters night for my subjects as well. While the trains and surrounding scenery are my main passion I do take the time sometimes just practicing taking pictures of line-side structures such as crossing gates and just sometimes the sky and a empty track just to round things up. 
Crossing Gate from my Practicing session I called it the Guardian 
  While I am blessed not only with a Job and a schedule that enables me to watch/photograph trains before and after work, and that actually supports it, I have friends and family that encourage me as well. While I have a lot of good things in my life it always isn't sunshine and heritage units many times I struggle with things, things like making friends and finding people outside my hobby who will actually appreciate and understand my hobby and passion for trains. One of the main fights I have also is with not staying depressed most parts I can put on my game face but more often than not I find myself discouraged and depressed and often times it is my hobby and reading the Bible that holds me together.
Q355 rolls past the former Union Station
Many times I take pictures that encompass my pain it is often that if I am not in the bible I am keeping busy looking for the next shot the shot. for the most part I try and not limit myself just to the common areas, as long as I am not trespassing I will shoot from anywhere I think might be a good shot sometime this includes climbing up a hill walking through over growth or even laying or sitting down on the ground to get the angle I want. sometimes the picture comes out other times it don't sometimes the weather or light affect it but I learn from these factors and try to do better the next time around and if the picture does come out I take note and remember what I did to make it come out.
T411 rolls past the former Erie mainline
For the most part I stick around my hometown but in the future I would like to try other cites as well, one opportunity that was presented to me last fall to travel to Cleveland and while up where I was it was cold and rainy but I still Scoped out a shot and cannot wait till I get the chance to go and get it in better weather and with a train in it
Cleveland Ohio (could you imagine how this could turn out)
While everyday I wake up a new opportunity presents itself I want to make the most of it while hopefully encouraging someone either through my photography, my scriptures, or through my story here on my blog. While I know I am never alone because God is always with me and I put him in everything I do  it is with a grateful and humble heart I invite you to follow me here on my blog as I walk on this journey called life If you enjoyed it please feel free to follow me on here by subscribing or Follow me on the links below. I hope in some way shape or form I have made a positive impact and as always remember God is in control and take care

Follow me on Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/106723741331187820565

Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/firstrailphotography

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CSX1135JO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radio Call

Running from the night