One for the road



     This week has been nothing like the ordinary for me Saturday I had a wedding to photograph, I really like doing them, NOT!!!! Honestly I would rather push a boxcar a mile with the handbrakes on than do a wedding. but hey it helped pay for a new lens for the camera so I shouldn't complain too much. The next two days were your your typical days devoid of any trains, However Tuesday morning held a nice sunrise and a unknown tanker train sitting waiting on a eastbound.
Tuesday's sun rises over the sitting tanker train

That afternoon I was able to catch two more a S368 and a Q277 it would have been a meet but the 277's End of Train or EOT dumped the air putting the train into emergency just past the AY signal so the dispatcher told the 368 to stop short of the 277's head end and one of the road foremen took off to assist the ailing 277 while the Q277's engineer radioed to the conductor they were building air in the  train line the conductor made his way back after inspecting all 7200 feet of his train. Once aboard the 368 and the road foreman decided to do the roll by on the Q277 Had it not been for the EOT dumping the air I would have never been able to photograph the both of them.
S368 Slowing down to assist the Q277
While I could have waited on he Q015, the Q299 and the V375 I choose to go home (basically I was cold and hungry) and call it a day sitting in Quaker Square I saw the Q015 roll by the Next day would yield a interesting chase and involve a family member who for some reason not only puts up with my trains but helped me make a epic catch Wednesday evening.
The Problem Child the Q277 finally made it's appearance

       Wednesday I wanted to go trackside but the cold and some chores slowed me up and it looked like I was going to miss  the three ones I wanted to catch primarily the Q710 a Re-Route with a DM&E leader on the point, mind you while this became the local buzz among the local fans and seeing the pictures posted it looked like I was about to miss it when my buddy Jeff hit me up and said it hadn't been past him. Enter in my Family member whom shall remain anonymous I begged her to take me to a local grade crossing in hopes to catching the Q710 ( a garbage train by the way). 
Well as divine favor would have it I was able to get a picture as the last light of the day and thankfully he called the signals as I was getting the look (the where is this thing at and if it isn't here soon look) as he rolled by the Q276 rolled on the opposite track, enter another day into the record catch book.
The Q710 with the city of Ulm Leader a rare bird indeed
 After the Night I had with Catching the Q710 the rest of the week kinda stayed on a even keel for the most part, but however Thursday morning I knew spring is coming not by the robin but by Q138 one of my usual morning eastbound trains. During good weather I usually see the 138 every other morning if not every other morning. That morning is was anything but spring like weather 13 deg with a minus -7 wind chill, and here I am standing on the mill street bridge wrapped up like a burrito, camera tucked in my jacket waiting on the Q138 in a blasting snow squall at 7am before I go to work. If you are wondering I got my catch.
Q138 with a special visitor in the consist second unit back
 That afternoon I got off work I heard the Q299 calling about 3 miles away and was able to get up on a bridge to catch it rolling west
Q299 and some more snow
Hot on the heels of the 299 was my favorite Local the D750 moving light one reason this is my favorite is the crew always shows some kind of love, this was the last train I caught for the week. As I once again got cold and hungry (seems to be a pattern for me lately) as they passed me with a impecting snow squall and a shave and a haircut on the air horn followed by a few short blast to say we like you and show our love back it made for a ok week for me.
D750 Splitting The CPL signals and stirring the snow pot in a late afternoon squall
D750 Riding off into the distance to go do some work
Now as I come to a close hopefully I can stay trackside and away from weddings (for my sanity's sake) I am going to leave you with a little something different one for the road if I may say, The Gospel group the Jackson Southernaires had a song (one of my favorites) that basically put's it in better terms than I can ever say,"It is hard to stumble when you are on your knees". One of the reasons I pray sometimes even when it seems like I don't want to and a final picture is a prayer I wrote that basically says I put my day before you Lord guide me in the way I should go I hope you enjoyed this weeks ramblings and remember God is still in control even when we think he is not until the next time take care.

A railfans Prayer

If you Enjoyed Subscribe:

Follow Me on the following: 

Google: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ElmerThomasCSX1135JO

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/1293oh

Twitter: https://twitter.com/CSX1135JO





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radio Call

The Life Of a Urban Railfan

Running from the night