On the run



 I'm back, Really I didn't go anywhere just haven't had to much to write about in the past few weeks. While trying not to complain, the simple fact is I just got plain fed up with the scene here in Akron and Barberton. The construction of the new sewers and the Interstate has pushed most of us into a mile long stretch of track while I try to do new shots and be creative it doesn't always pan out, honestly just too many railfans in one area to suit me, plus I seem not to be in the top twenty percent of the favorites around here so couple that with a gas needle that didn't work, a bad wheel bearing, and a boss that seems to think I waste my time with the trains I was at my breaking point. When one reaches his or her breaking point there is only two options for them to choose and that is fight or flight, one can choose to fight through the discouraging situation or they can choose to do something different, I chose the latter. During the past month or so I happened upon the town of Grafton Ohio while taking a family member to an appointment out that way. One of the things that caught my eye was these bowling ball signals I caught while out on the trips.

The signals that Signaled my new intentions
After seeing these signals and getting into a end of march snow storm I was set on making a trip but I had to get the demon possessed gas needle and a rear wheel bearing fixed, so with the help of a friend I was able to put in  new bearing and a new fuel pump and get the issue with the gas needle fixed.
Now Grafton is about an hour drive from where I live so I packed the van and took my best friend Annie with me me as we set westward for Grafton. Now a little information on the town once you get into the town there are three tracks that cross over two streets. The tracks are the CL&W sub (the single track) and where the Greenwich sub turns into the Cleveland shortline sub (at CP 25) there is a nice place to park off by the tower that is now owned by the city. That is where we decided to set up perch for the evening. The first train through was a Eastbound and with the wrong light I just watched it roll by with it's mile long train of auto racks, what next was my most sought after shot. I literally did not plan on getting this shot of the local the D752 due to it being a nocturnal move mostly, but favor was heavy on me for the day as I heard him call for permission across the diamond, once the dispatcher gave him permission I hauled across the tracks and got into position to get the shot I had so badly coveted.

The D-752 As it crosses Main street and the diamonds at CP 25
 To say I was happy was a understatement, I was happier than a pig in a fresh bath of mud knowing I had accomplished something that I knew would be a challenge in any situation but having the right light, time, and location was nothing short of a miracle. As the train passed into the sun I made my way back to the van. Now after a few minutes of silence I heard something trip the defect detector  few miles East, it turned out to be the Q017  with the 5249 as a leader. What was so special about another Gevo? Well it might have been the fact I caught it in Barberton a few weeks back while out after running some errands, What a coincidence right?  Here is that shot of them splitting the signals.

The 5249 fate had us meeting again this time in Grafton Ohio
As time would have it there was only one train through and that was the Q009 and it was time to pack up and leave with a very satisfying day in the books. Let's take a look at the Q009.

3454 splitting the signals this would be the last one through for my afternoon out in Grafton
Now once he passed through we went to McDonald's and grabbed a snack and waited or some more, only with little fanfare did another Eastbound come through with a migration of auto racks. But as it would go favor would be still on my side as I happened upon another favorite the I-12 caboose in Chessie colors I got out and had to snag a few pictures with the cell phone. It was a day spent well with a good friend and a enjoyable memory to cherish for years to come. Now you know I cannot leave you without some wisdom, for the most part we as railfans (myself included) do not like change and for the most part do our best to avoid it but sometimes God pushes us out of our comfort zone and sometimes that can be painful to spread our wings and fly but it is not that hard once you learn to begin to flap your wings, it is something I had to learn and I seem to enjoy my newfound ability to fly. Until next time take care and remember God is in control.....

If you liked please Subscribe: 



Check me out on the following:

 



 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radio Call

The Life Of a Urban Railfan

Running from the night